Anywho, we set off on Friday morning to travel about 5 hrs to the wilderness. We traveled the Winona Scenic drive to get to our campground, which was about 27 miles of dirt road. It was nice to get off pavement for awhile. Nate, Lilly, and Carter even got to go on a little (but steep) hike that was right off the road.
I must say that I must have really needed to get out of the city because I went even though I was sick. I wasn't too bad to begin with, just a headache and stomach ache, but by the time we got to the campground I was running a pretty high fever and my brain was all fuzzy. So fuzzy in fact that even though I can usually put our tent up in my sleep, I put it up wrong....twice. Well, we finally got everything set up and Nate made dinner, two of my favorite things (dutch oven potatoes/onions and hamburgers) and I couldn't even eat them. Nate and Lilly then took Carter on a walk to put him to sleep and then I went to bed, hoping to sleep my sickness off.
Luckily the sleep worked and although I didn't quite have my appetite back, I felt much better. So we ate breakfast, packed up camp and headed to Hot Springs, Arkansas, home of Hot Springs National Park. Its the first time I've been to a National park that didn't have a forest or whatnot attached to it but it was cool and I've never wanted to take a bath so much in my life. But alas we didn't have time for bathing but it was cool to walk down Bath house row and fantasize of a time long past. Several of the bath houses are still in operation and some are being renovated but I would love to someday go back sans kiddos and take that bath.
We then headed back to Tulsa and back to the life we had tried to get away from for a bit. It was a nice little camping trip but not one of the most enjoyable. Besides me being sick, we spent most of our time driving to the campground and then once there we spent most of the time keeping Carter from eating rocks and chasing him around the campground. Hopefully the next camping trip (who knows when that will be) is more relaxing. So here are some pics of our trip.
Forked Mountain
Part of the Winona Scenic Byway
The View from Flatside Pinnacle trail that Nate took the kids on while I stayed in the car with a fever.
Carter enjoyed the hike
Lilly struggled but was happy she made it to the top.
One of the many bath houses still operating.
I also wanted to add that the day before we left, my oldest niece Bailie graduated from high school and then the same day we left for Arkansas, my sister (also Bailie's mom) and her husband Sean were blessed with an adorable baby girl that they named Kyrie. Congratulations to all the family.
I also wanted to add that the day before we left, my oldest niece Bailie graduated from high school and then the same day we left for Arkansas, my sister (also Bailie's mom) and her husband Sean were blessed with an adorable baby girl that they named Kyrie. Congratulations to all the family.






2 comments:
"Anywho" that screams Marie!
I forget how green Northeast Oklahoma and Arkansas are until I come back or see pictures like this. Sure do NOT miss the humidity there but it makes for beautiful trees. I do miss that part, especially when in dry Utah.
that is awful you were sick!! I don't think i have "relaxed" on a holiday since we had kids, they are alot of work but so fun! :)
Post a Comment