Monday, March 26, 2012

Going on Safari

Since I will soon be confined to Tulsa till the baby comes, we decided to take one more trip up to see my sister, Spring,  and her family for the weekend.  It finally stopped raining and we decided to go to The Wilderness Safari in Gentry, Arkansas.  Gentry is a completely random place for a safari and I never knew this place existed until a couple years ago.  Lilly was so excited to go.  She loves the zoo and it was really fun seeing some animals outside of cages and even getting to feeding some.  I was impressed by how many different kind of exotic animals they had.  There was everything from tigers, hippos, and bears to zebu, white-tail deer, and monkeys.  Some of them were a little bit frisky, but luckily Lilly didn't ask any "in-depth" questions about what they were doing so I lucked out.    It was a lot of fun and ended up being a beautiful day.  So here are some pictures of our safari adventure.
 Part of the Safari is drive-thru.  This Zebra was rubbing his nose on the window.

Little baby warthogs

Its not often you see a camel in the Arkansas woods


Feeding the baby goats.  She also got to feed a kangaroo and some other exotic animals but we didn't get any pictures of those.

 African Tortoise


Of course Nate had to get a picture of this truck.  It was amazing that it was still running.  That thing is beat.

Then on the way home we decided to take a detour to Tahlequah, OK.  Tahlequah is the National headquarters for the Cherokee Nation and we wanted to stop and see the historic judicial buildings.   I love to see old buildings and the character that older buildings have as opposed to newer construction.  I'm so glad that Nate is a historian and Lilly and I get to learn so much about history through him.

This was the Cherokee Supreme Court Building built in 1857.  It has since been restored and turned into a Museum.

This is the Cherokee National Capitol building built in 1867 and was damaged by fire in 1928.  The interior was completely remodeled and it is now the Cherokee Nation Judicial building.

1 comment:

Becky said...

What a fun adventure! Lily is such a cutie-patootie. I like learning history from Nate too (through you. :-D).