Sunday, October 4, 2009

Yet Another Weekend Adventure

We decided that we needed to go camping one more time this year so Nate planned a fun trip up into the mountains. We left Friday after Nate got out of class and headed north to the Quebradas Back Country Byway, which is out in the desert a bit south of Socorro, NM. Lilly loved playing in the sand when we stopped. She especially liked it when we found a lot of different animal footprints in the sand.

We then headed for the campground at Water Canyon. It is a lot of work to go camping but its work we like doing. After setting up camp, Nate made some yummy dutch oven Chicken Enchiladas for dinner and then we had the customary smore and headed to bed. Neither I or Nate sleep very well when camping but that night it was super windy so we slept even less than usual. Lilly, on the other hand, can sleep through anything.

The next morning we got up and had some breakfast burritos, packed up camp, and headed up the mountain. We ended up at the very top of the mountain (about 10,000 ft) and decided to get out and take some pics even though it was cold (48 degrees but we've turned into wimps).

We then went up state Hwy 52, which is the first and only hwy that I've been on that is a dirt road and to the Very Large Array. We just snapped pictures of it instead of taking a tour of it because there were a ton of people there.

We then got back on hwy 52 and then Nate then decided to take a detour up a forest road to get to another campground that we'd eat lunch at. It turns out that it took us about 2 hrs to go 15 miles down this road, going up mountains and through canyons and at one point, off the road completely to get around a fallen tree. It was still fun though and it made it even more fun that Lilly didn't get car sick. After finally finding the campground and having a quick bite, we headed out of the forest and back to civilization. It was a long fun day but totally worth it. I'm just glad that Lilly likes camping and off-roading and being outside as much as we do. Enjoy the pictures.


Lilly in the sand

Coming back from the potty. Most kids, I think, would be afraid of campground toilets but Lilly loved it. I think she just liked the echo she could make when inside. She asked to go potty at least 20 times.

Being domestic and making breakfast



Fall colors on the way up the mountain

On top of the Mountain

The Very Large Array, Featured in such movies as Contact and Independence Day.

State Highway 52

We has so much fun on this trip and I could have posted a ton more pictures but that will have to do. We can't wait till next summer to go camping again, wherever we may be.

1 comment:

Adams said...

That is really cool that you put that picture of The Very Large Array. I was telling David not to long ago that it had been a long time since I'd seen Contact and how much I used to love that movie.... Matthew McConaughey...."so hot...want to touch the hiney....owwwww!" Your husband is going to band you from being my friend now....!