Sometimes I am very envious of other cultures, whether it be Asian, Polynesian, Hispanic, Native American, etc. I don't think I have any real culture to attach myself to. Nate at least has a pioneer heritage that he can relate to but me, I really have nothing. One thing I really love about living in New Mexico is that it is so eclectic and rich in culture.
Tonight we decided to go out to dinner at one of our favorite (New) Mexican restaurants. Nate is thoroughly addicted to green chile and had to get his fix and I wasn't going to object (anything to get out of cooking). So we ended up going to Los Mariachis. They have great food and its not expensive and we love it there. Well, little did we know that on Friday they have a real mariachi band that comes in and plays. The entire group were (what seemed to be) teenagers and they were awesome. I love that they have grown up with such a rich heritage and culture and they are continuing to share it with others. Lilly and Carter both loved it and both watched these young people play their instruments and singing with awe in their eyes.
It drives me crazy all the stereotypes that some people hold as true of those brothers and sisters whose cultures are so different from our own. I am glad that we are in a place where our children can learn about different types of people and their cultures. I love that not only here but in Tulsa also, Lilly has friends from all different backgrounds and cultures. I didn't have that opportunity growing up and I kind of feel like I missed out. Even growing up on Oklahoma, there wasn't even that much Native American culture represented in that little town.
Anyway, I love that I am surrounded by such culture and am hope to continue to learn more and more about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment