I know, I know. It's been forever since I last updated, but I do have an excuse. As many of you know, our little family likes to get out and explore and do things. But since we've been working and its been winter F-O-R-E-V-E-R we haven't been able to get out of town in it seems like F-O-R-E-V-E-R. But last weekend we were finally both off work and it was going to be really nice weather, so we decided to go do a little exploring.
Luckily the weatherman didn't lie to us and it was a beautiful day. It was above 50 degrees which seemed like summer for us since just a week or so before we were lucky to get above 10. We decided that we would go to Twin Falls, ID to go see Shoshone Falls and then, since we can't not do anything historical, we went to the Minidoka Internment camp site in Jerome County, ID.
Shoshone Falls is often called the Niagara of the west but it is actually higher than Niagara Falls but not as wide. Lilly really liked looking at the falls and the rainbows that where created from the water spray coming off the falls and the very bright, warm sun.
My cute kid enjoying the falls.
We only needed light jackets. It was fabulous.
I thought the Minidoka internment camp site was very interesting. I'm glad Nate is a historian because I get to learn so much about history when we're together. In case you didn't know, internment camps were created after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The US government forcibly removed Japanese Americans (approx. 110,000) from their homes on the Pacific Coast and relocated them to one of ten interment camps located out in the middle of nowhere in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming. This camp was open from 1942-1945. There isn't many of these camps still standing because as you would guess, it's not a part of US history that we should be proud of. Here are some pictures of what is left of this camp which was originally 910 acres.
This is what is left of the guard tower and the entrance to the camp
You can't really see it very well, but this was a garden that some of the in-mates created to help remind them of their homes. It was made in the shape of a V.
4 comments:
Lilly is adorable. Please make her marry one of my boys! :-) I SO wish I had gone to those falls with you! I've never heard of them, but Jaron is definitely going to take me there soon. Hope we can get together soon!
I'm jealous of you guys going out and about all the time. We work all the time too so it's hard to get away. There's an internment camp near Cody, WY that I've been to a couple of times. I think it's very interesting and if I remember right there are a few more buildings than the one in Idaho you guys visited. So I think you should come check out the one in Cody and we'll meet you there! Lilly is getting so big - she's so cute!
I haven't been to Shoshone falls in a very long time. I should take my kiddos there. The internment camp looks interesting. I didn't even know there was one in Idaho.
Wow....thanks for sharing those pictures.
Post a Comment